24 April 2014

The Sting of Death


The knowledge that we can be with our families forever is the best out there. I love my family so much. The thought of never seeing them again is just terrifying. I remember being 16, 17, even 18 years old and lying in bed late at night with my mind just wondering what happens to us when we pass on. What if this is just it and after we die it's like eternal darkness? What if we don't matter, this life, just doesn't matter, because when we die we dissolve and everything we did doesn't mean anything? It would scare me. Growing up my parents would always tell me that when we died that we go to heaven. I didn't have that solid testimony. How did I know that it was true?

My Daddy the day of his baptism. One of the best
days of my life!
At this point in my life, I never had anyone close to me pass away. It still would burden my mind constantly. Today, I know that with a doubt in my mind that when our spirits leave our mortal body that we go straight to our Father in Heaven. If we are righteous then we are in a state of happiness. You may wonder how I gained this knowledge.

It all goes back to if the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God. If it is then Joseph Smith is a prophet. He truly saw God, the Eternal Father, and His son Jesus Christ, standing before him and calling him by name. This means that Jesus is the Christ! He organized this wonderful church; therefore, His church has now been restored! It's the best news!

"11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow." Alma 40:11-12

This scripture has brought me so much comfort. On July 4th 2013 my father passed away. It was a very difficult time in my life. Because of my knowledge that the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God, I was able to stand tall and be that example. I was able to bare my testimony and tell people of the great joy that has come to me. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't break down at times. I am such a daddy’s girl, and there were multiple nights that I would cry myself to sleep, but I knew without a doubt in my mind that I would see him again. That someday I will get to run up to my Dad and give him a giant hug.

The Book of Mormon has helped me so much. It brings joy where sorrow would normally be. It takes that sting of death away. It gives hope. Most importantly, it testifies of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He has felt every pain that we have felt and has been by our sides in the hardest of times. I know that this gospel is the only thing on the earth that can bring true, eternal joy.

3 comments:

  1. And how is it that you know the book of mormon IS the word of God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God because I have read it, pondered it and prayed about it. As I have prayed, it has answered my prayers. I have always felt at peace as I have read it. I love the Book of Mormon! You can know as well! You can order a free Book of Mormon at this address! :) http://www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's my favorite so far. I recommended that Christina R. read this. She has been a bit troubled about the afterlife. I think this will help her. I love the scripture you quoted. I love you my darling daughter. Love, Momma

    ReplyDelete