05 June 2014

A Sure Foundation

I remember being in a missionary prep class for my ward before my mission. I was asked what my favorite scripture was. I had never thought of that question. What was my favorite scripture? I had a few things highlighted in my Book of Mormon. I was flipping through and this one stuck out to me like a sore thumb;

 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. -Helaman 5:12

What foundation are you
building on?
I was told that there are many good scriptures, but that this was one of the "greats". It stuck to me. I went back and read this scripture multiple times. I was invited to memorize it; and I do not like memorizing things; to say it at my farewell talk before I left for my mission. This was a couple months before I left. It was quite the challenge! I would read it over and over. Say it constantly. I fully memorized it, word for word, two days before my talk.

Kansas City, Missouri Temple
I am so grateful that I have this wonderful verse memorized! I always go back to it. If I've had a bad day then I think of this. I especially love how it says "when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind" because it's not "if the devil shall" but WHEN. We will always have trial! There will ALWAYS be hard times but when you build your foundation upon Jesus Christ and His teachings the devil "shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall".

I know that as I have gone to the scriptures and likened then unto me it has far more meaning than when I just simply read them. When I take the time to find the answers to my prayers. We speak to God by praying. He speaks to us through scriptures. Use them!

To learn more about the Book of Mormon contact me or go to http://www.mormon.org/faq/topic/book-of-mormon. It's another testament of Jesus Christ. It has changed my life and I know it will change yours!

1 comment:

  1. Having a very rough day missing you and missing your daddy. I have read this scripture before the first time I read this blog. I read it again and again last week and the week before. Reading it again today brought tears to my eyes. I believe this scripture is the truth. How to feel peace and contentment is beyond me. I haven't figured out how yet!. This scripture helps. Thank you for sharing this. I love you!

    ReplyDelete